near the intersection of Pine Canyon road and the Old Ridge Route
just south of highway 138 at an elevation of 4,170 feet.
hotel was built by Harald Sandberg in 1914 and was ready when the
highway opened in 1915.
a one story log structure. Later it was enlarged to a three-story
first floor held a dinning room, public room with a large fireplace
and a post office.
second story was the living quarters for the Sandberg family.
third floor contained guestrooms for the weary travelers.
were also available.
hotel catered to the "carriage trade." This is where you
see the Cadillacs, Packards and Studebakers.
hotel was on leased National Forest property and after Mr. Sandbergs
death various people assumed the lease to maintain the hotel.
the Ridge Alternate opened in 1933 Sandberg's was one of the few
remaining Inn's that remained open. Unfortunately
with little traffic, the hotel closed.
last operator of the lease was a Mr. Walter "Lucky" Stevens.
He had plans to renovate the property and turn it into a children's
during renovation, sparks from the fireplace ignited the roof and
the hotel burned to the ground on April 29,1961.
that remains today are foundations and a rock wall on the West Side
of the old road just prior to entering the Angeles National Forest
and unmaintained section of road.